Thursday, May 2, 2019

911 Emergency

911 Emergency
Justin Hill
5-2-19

A Child's Heroism

An Orangeburg girl is being called a hero. Authorities were called to Wilson Avenue this afternoon after a 6-year-old Laura contacted them. You can hear the child plea for help saying that "Somebody's hurting my mommy." According to the police, the victim Laura Burke was raped by neighbor Andrew Caspinwall. 

Laura could be heard on the recording telling authorities on how Caspinwall came in from the back door and hit her mother. The dispatcher described Laura as "timid" and also "calm" while on the phone with him. 

We were given access to some of the 911 call placed this afternoon by Laura

Dispatcher: "Don't hang up. Just put the phone down and go lock the door. Then come back, talk to me some more."

Girl: "My mommy. What'll happen to my mommy?"

Dispatcher: "We've got 3 police cars coming. They'll be there in a minute. Now go lock the door, and don't let anyone in until I tell you. OK?"

Girl: "I guess so" 

Dispatcher: "Hello? Hello? Laura, are you there?"

Girl: "I locked the door"

Dispatcher: "How old are you Laura?"

Girl: "6"

Dispatcher: "You're doing a good job, Laura. You have to be brave now to help your mommy. Tell me, is the man armed?"

Girl: "What does that mean?"

Dispatcher: "Does he have a gun?"

Girl: No. a knife."

Laura's heroic actions were praised by her mother and father. "I can't tell you how grateful I am for my daughter to called 911 and help save me." said Mrs. Burke. "Our daughter is very smart and courageous." said Mr. Burke.

Caspinwall was obtained and charged with the rape of Mrs. Burke. Bail was set at $250,000 and is being held at the Orangeburg County Detention Center. 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment